Anyone have any experience with a Dana 489 axle?

Got it installed today, still need to bleed the brakes, route the cable and mount the selector.
Not too many issues, but some annoying ones, not totally unexpected.
Spring perches were supposed to welded on to give 12 degrees of pinion angle. They were welded on to stock specs.
So much for losing the shims on the springs.
Then there were the brake lines, the lines were not pre-formed to fit.
The tee mount was 2" to the right of the stock location so I couldn't reuse my old lines.
Not a big deal, but it cost me an extra 1-1/2 hours.
Otherwise it's a thing of beauty!
Not that those would be deal breakers for me either, but damn those are annoying to deal with when you pay so much for what is supposed to be a 100% bolt in axle built to your specs. Getting rid of the shims would indeed be a big highlight of an axle from them. For the lines, I thought they advertise them to be already plumbed, but I guess that only happens if you choose one of the disc or drum options instead of reusing your own brakes since they don't know whether you'll go disc or drum if you reuse. What sucks about that is to choose a disc or drum option from them, means they supply you all the components at a high cost. Would be nice if they advertised a setup for the lines only, and then you choose what brakes they build the lines for. Oh well I guess.

Definitely want to see pics. I don't have as exciting a change coming but my buddy just bought an LJ and I get the 44 out of it which we will do 4.88's and a Truetrac on. Looking forward to it a lot.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Not that those would be deal breakers for me either, but damn those are annoying to deal with when you pay so much for what is supposed to be a 100% bolt in axle built to your specs. Getting rid of the shims would indeed be a big highlight of an axle from them. For the lines, I thought they advertise them to be already plumbed, but I guess that only happens if you choose one of the disc or drum options instead of reusing your own brakes since they don't know whether you'll go disc or drum if you reuse. What sucks about that is to choose a disc or drum option from them, means they supply you all the components at a high cost. Would be nice if they advertised a setup for the lines only, and then you choose what brakes they build the lines for. Oh well I guess.

Definitely want to see pics. I don't have as exciting a change coming but my buddy just bought an LJ and I get the 44 out of it which we will do 4.88's and a Truetrac on. Looking forward to it a lot.
I have found "bolt in" to be kind of a relative term.
A lot of "bolt in" things I have bought have come with disclaimer that "Some vehicles may require modification".
It seems I have THAT one.
But it beats having to fabricate Everything like I had to do for my GPW.

The shims, no biggy, though I would have liked to seen them gone.
The one thing ECGS did that can't figure out was the splitter mount and vent.
They provided a stud to mount the splitter 2" to the left (my bad on the OP) and put a hose barb where the splitter would originally have mounted.
Why not just drill and tap it for the factory barbed vent bolt???
And the barb for the vent they installed isn't even the right size, maybe I'm just grousing, but after that much $ one kind of expects the details to have been covered. I suspect these guys are used to building stuff for rock bouncers with after-market everything.
Apparently, already plumbed means you just get the pipes.
Oh well...It is what it is.
Yeah, the extra cost of their brakes is exactly why I kept my stock stuff.
Stock's not great, but I hardly ever use the binders anyway, I just stir the pot.

Nice score on the 44! My buddy just did a TrueTrac in an a Sterling for his '01 F250, he likes it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
First real road test of the new axle and driveshafts today, flawless, the 4.88s are a huge improvement.
Also the first time the TSLs have seen the interstate, she did OK, 70 no problem. (But she shook like a dog shitting razor blades, with only 8 psi in the tires that didn't suprise me)

Got it installed today, still need to bleed the brakes, route the cable and mount the selector.
Spring perches were supposed to welded on to give 12 degrees of pinion angle. They were welded on to stock specs.
The tee mount was 2" to the right of the stock location so I couldn't reuse my old lines.
Working on it, I don't have a decent camera, or one of those smart phone thingies, so I have to beg for pics from someone that does.
Til then you'll have to take my word for it, she is beautiful.
And the old axles shafts look like toothpicks compared to the new ones!
Think I'm going to paint out the bright yellow OX on the cover though, I'm not big on advertising. I like a sleeper.
Looking to do the same on my 95 YJ. Same ECGS SOA on front and rear. Curious to your pinion angle comment. They told me out of the gates these would be setup to factory leaf mounts. Why the difference of 12 degrees?

Working on it, I don't have a decent camera, or one of those smart phone thingies, so I have to beg for pics from someone that does.
Til then you'll have to take my word for it, she is beautiful.
And the old axles shafts look like toothpicks compared to the new ones!
Think I'm going to paint out the bright yellow OX on the cover though, I'm not big on advertising. I like a sleeper.
Looking to do the same on my 95 YJ. Same ECGS SOA on front and rear. Curious to your pinion angle comment. They told me out of the gates these would be setup to factory leaf mounts. Why the difference of 12 degrees of pinion angle?