Confused about transmission.

ArkyPaul

Supporting Member
The attached photo shows a top view of the 5 speed transmission on our 98' Yj, 4.2L. I'm trying to identify what type of trans this is. It has become extreamly difficult to get it into gear. I'm new to Jeeps and looking for a little input to get me headed in the right direction for a repair.

20221022_182918.jpg

I think you meant 1989 vs 1998. Based on the picture you have the Peugeot BA10/5, used in 1997-1989 4.2L YJs. It is highly regarded as a piece of junk, although many of them are still rolling around. They just shifted poorly and we’re much more likely to break than the later transmissions like the 1990-1999 Aisin Warner AX15.

You can switch to the AX15 but it’s expensive and time consuming with lots of parts.

Correct on the typo...it's 89'. Certainly not the news we were hoping for, but appreciated none the less. A little surfing showed a couple of suggestions that the shifter itself can be readjusted and maybe give a few more miles. Will give that a try...and start saving up for a swap next Spring if necessary. Thanks for the input...and if you run across any more info specific to this problem I surely would appreciate being updated.

Correct on the typo...it's 89'. Certainly not the news we were hoping for, but appreciated none the less. A little surfing showed a couple of suggestions that the shifter itself can be readjusted and maybe give a few more miles. Will give that a try...and start saving up for a swap next Spring if necessary. Thanks for the input...and if you run across any more info specific to this problem I surely would appreciate being updated.
I’m not familiar with the ins and outs of that transmission so I can’t help on the adjustment process, hopefully that helps. For the swap, advance adapters sells some kits that do most of the work. There are also some great write ups on Jeep forum. Look up bpounds write up, I think it’s on Jeep forum or Wrangler forum. Great info, he did the swap to his 88.

Look around used, you may be able to get a working BA10 replacement to swap in while you work on the future AX15 swap if interested. And keep an eye out for used AX15s also.

As Macho indicated, they are what they are. However....neither the AX5 or 15 does not like 80/90 type gear oil which make it extremely hard to shift into gear unless its 120 outside. Most guys run Redline MT90 synthetic or 10/30 motor oil which is what ive been running in my 91 for years.

Thanks so much to all...hopefully some of this helps and we can get it back onto the road until the swap.