Clearance issues after installation of ECGS Ford 8.8 rear end

Cristian Di Filippo

Hello everybody, I recently installed a ford 8.8 with a truetrac from East Coast Gear Supply. I was going to refabricate the 8.8 myself but was shocked to find that my third party warranty was willing to pay for it to be done professionally. Besides the point, after the installation it's evident that the much larger differential in the 8.8 is causing clearance issues with the gas tank skid plate. They're in direct contact with one another.

I purchased the jeep a few months back at 66,000 miles with a lift that appears to be a skyjacker 3-4." It's a comfortable height with 33s but the shocks and leafs are definitely worn. My proposed solution to the new clearance issue is the RC 4.5" x series lift. I already have an SYE installed so I would not use the included t-case drop. I'm curious if you guys have any input as to other solutions, lift kit recommendations, or opinions on the RC 4.5".

Reactions: jeepjoe43

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everybody, I recently installed a ford 8.8 with a truetrac from East Coast Gear Supply. I was going to refabricate the 8.8 myself but was shocked to find that my third party warranty was willing to pay for it to be done professionally. Besides the point, after the installation it's evident that the much larger differential in the 8.8 is causing clearance issues with the gas tank skid plate. They're in direct contact with one another.

I purchased the jeep a few months back at 66,000 miles with a lift that appears to be a skyjacker 3-4." It's a comfortable height with 33s but the shocks and leafs are definitely worn. My proposed solution to the new clearance issue is the RC 4.5" x series lift. I already have an SYE installed so I would not use the included t-case drop. I'm curious if you guys have any input as to other solutions, lift kit recommendations, or opinions on the RC 4.5".
I just installed a D489 from ECGS with an OX locker, and was advised I may also have that issue, but I didn't.
I've just got a 2-1/2" Rough Country lift.
The only solutions I can think of are some adjusting to skid pan with a heavy object, or replace the tank and pan with aftermarket.
I know there are some out there that are designed for stretched rigs.

Fouledplugs

YJ Addict
Supporting Member
An aftermarket skid for the tank that will gain you some clearance. This would require some research.

A new gas tank and skid that is built for a stretch. Such as some of the offerings from Genright.

A more low profile diff cover. The factory cover probably being the lowest profile, but also the weakest.

Last edited:

RangerRick

Supporting Member
We had that problem on a friends YJ many years ago. He had a Thompson Machine skid plate over his gas tank. We just dropped it in his driveway when he ran the gas real low in it and used a large pry bar to "bend" it in a little where it was contacting. That was done more than 15 years ago and never a problem since the "modification" to the skid plate. You can't even tell it was done when re-installed except there's no more rubbing noises.

RR