Broken multi-function switch

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
So this happened:
20220809_163340.jpg

I signaled right, and she broke clean half in two. Windshield wipers turned on and started spraying washer fluid. Washer was on for 3 blocks.

Finally got the wipers and washer to shut off.
Not sure if the column has to come apart or what.

That sucks

Column will have to come apart. Sucks. Tends to happen on these old Jeeps after all these years.

Edit: actually looks like only the stalk broke, switch seems fine. Get a new stalk from dorman or Mopar and try to roll with it. New one should just press right into the switch with a quick push if the switch isn’t ruined.

Column will have to come apart. Sucks. Tends to happen on these old Jeeps after all these years.

Edit: actually looks like only the stalk broke, switch seems fine. Get a new stalk from dorman or Mopar and try to roll with it. New one should just press right into the switch with a quick push if the switch isn’t ruined.
The tip is broke off inside.

I see the reason on the backside of the wiper on tab :cool:. I doubt thats the original one. Sure like to se a pic editorial of the hassle it is to replace as mine is ready to break and the high speed wiper mode dont work anymore.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
I see the reason on the backside of the wiper on tab :cool:. I doubt thats the original one. Sure like to se a pic editorial of the hassle it is to replace as mine is ready to break and the high speed wiper mode dont work anymore.
I'll see what I can do.
It will have to wait though, I just dropped it off to get the floor pan replaced. I'm jeepless til next Wednesday.

'til then, I guess I'll be ripping my DR650.

Just based on my recent replacement of the turn signal wiring, key cylinder and multifunction lever (with cruise control) on my 1987 YJ... There are 2 parts, the multifunction lever and the wiper switch... if the tip is broke off the lever but the wiper switch housing is OK, then you _may_ not need to replace the switch or open the column with some luck... (but probably.) Worth using a small drill bit and see if you can grab the tip and pull it out? I saw a couple threads where others did that - however the larger part was broken in the housing not just the tip. It seems more risky though so if you are comfortable removing the wheel / horn / turn signal parts to reach the wiper switch it's probably easier to push that nub out from the inside (I saw wiper switches for about $80.)

Got one of everything. Cost about $120 with the (Wife's) employee discount at the parts store.

This is the parts list for a 1995 wrangler with a manual transmission and tilt steering:
Dorman 49277 Turn signal lever
Standard DS572 wiper switch
Shee-Mar SM220 Turn signal switch
20220812_182751.jpg