Brake warning light on dash

Rooster21

Hey everyone. First post. Bought my 92 YJ a couple weeks ago. Today the brake warning light came on behind the steering wheel. Topped off the brake fluid. Pretty sure the breaks are working fine. Pedals feel fine. Got a feeling it may be an issue with the parking brake? Pretty new to self repair. Any simple things to check that it could be?

You can eliminate the parking brake from the equation by disconnecting the wire going to the parking brake. If the light goes out, that’s your problem. If it doesn’t, then back to figuring out the issue at the proportion valve switch.

Take a look where the E brake assembly is. You'll see a single wire coming from a plunger type switch which is what makes that light go on when you apply the E brake. The switches get crusty and sticky so try a little shot of wd40 or something like that and cycle the switch several times and see if that helps.

This is what the parking brake looks like. This is the only wire I found and it’s unplugged. Nowhere to plug into.

7ABFAB4E-83D8-4125-BAC8-C7D29EA621FB.jpeg

EC9B39E2-0863-4CFC-AAAC-AD1117C00EFA.jpeg

Pretty certain there should be a stud on the assembly for that elbow to go onto. I have a 94 which uses a spade terminal instead so it's not exactly apples to apples. And I'm not close to my rig to post a pic currently. But I can send what Mine looks like later.

Pretty certain there should be a stud on the assembly for that elbow to go onto. I have a 94 which uses a spade terminal instead so it's not exactly apples to apples. And I'm not close to my rig to post a pic currently. But I can send what Mine looks like later.
Yeah, right under that black knob is probably where the stud should be. There is a spring laying in there. Was looking at other pictures and looks like something got broken off. The problem is I’m not sure if the light had come on before when the break was engaged. My thinking right now is that the previous owner may have broken it and closed off the circuit turning the light off. And I probably knocked what he did loose. Not sure but speculation.

Yeah, right under that black knob is probably where the stud should be. There is a spring laying in there. Was looking at other pictures and looks like something got broken off. The problem is I’m not sure if the light had come on before when the break was engaged. My thinking right now is that the previous owner may have broken it and closed off the circuit turning the light off. And I probably knocked what he did loose. Not sure but speculation.
Probably.

Has it had the Jeep recall done yet? If not, and is eligible, you could get your dealer to install a new parking brake which would probably fix the whole issue. Maybe a small wiring change to go to the spade terminal style if that's how the new pedal came equipped.

Reactions: gixxerkid3
Probably.

Has it had the Jeep recall done yet? If not, and is eligible, you could get your dealer to install a new parking brake which would probably fix the whole issue. Maybe a small wiring change to go to the spade terminal style if that's how the new pedal came equipped.
I’ll start researching. Thanks for the help!

Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions. Update is that there was a leak at one of the rear drums. The fluid got low and air got in the system. Fixed the leak in the cylinder and bled the lines. That fixed the issue.