Ball Joint question

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I changed the ball joints on the passenger side of my 93 yj because the loser was no good and I thought the top looked strange. There was maybe 1/4 " gap between the knuckle and the joint. Like the nut had not been tightened enough to draw it up to the bottom of the joint. New joints are in and I have the same gap. I know someone is going to ask what joints I used, but I don't have it info in front of me now. They were Moog and part store and local tire shop agreed they were correct. Is there maybe an additional seal or spacer that should be in there. Left side appears to have a "something" in that spot.

The gap is 100% normal. It is due to inconsistencies in manufacturing the tapered knuckle hole. You have a smaller hole so your knuckle didn't go up the pin as far as someone who's knuckle got a hole a bit too big. This is also why the pin goes straight up and down only, to adjust for different knuckle tolerances. The Upper just provides knuckle stability, it carries no load whatsoever so the pins only moves and down for tightening purposes during installation. Once it's in and tightened, that relationship will not ever change and it's fine.

The gap is 100% normal. It is due to inconsistencies in manufacturing the tapered knuckle hole. You have a smaller hole so your knuckle didn't go up the pin as far as someone who's knuckle got a hole a bit too big. This is also why the pin goes straight up and down only, to adjust for different knuckle tolerances. The Upper just provides knuckle stability, it carries no load whatsoever so the pins only moves and down for tightening purposes during installation. Once it's in and tightened, that relationship will not ever change and it's fine.
Good to know! Thanks. for a complete answer. I like that you explained the whole thing

Reactions: machoheadgames