Backfiring after engine fire

1987jeepYJ

I had a small engine fire , bad fuel line , it was running when I shut it off .... now after new plug wires and a few crispy wires later , when I try to start it it backfires .. I know the wires are on right .. anyone think I could of cooked the pickup in the distributor... I’ve purchased an HEI . Any one done that mod on a 4.2 ltr YJ?

CBEDDCA6-6656-41C9-8B0C-9547E07E30C5.jpeg

When you say "I know the wires are on right" are you referring to the spark plug wires? That's very common to backfire when the plug wires are wrong. I seen some people get the distributor rotation direction wrong too LOL. That happens. You probably know the engine inside and out but I'm just trying to hit the basics and go from there.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I know clockwise 1-5-3-6-2-4 after the fire I started it just for a few seconds and it ran .. Only thing different is the plug wires .. the top of the coil got hot and the wires going into the distributor bottom got pretty hot .. I changed wire for wore on the plugs and now it just back fires if you try to start it .. I’m wondering if the pick up coil wires shorted out is possible

Reactions: Flyer58