AX-15 won't go into reverse

kelleherm

I recently replaced my 95's clutch. when I put the car back together the gears shifted fine except for into reverse. when the car is running I am unable to get the shifter into reverse due to the extreme amount of grinding. However once the car is off it goes into the reverse just fine and the car drives fine in reverse. This shows me that there isn't anything physical blocking the shifter from entering the gear and that reverse runs fine. Right? I've read a bunch about shifting to first then into reverse to align the gears but I'm not sure if that would help. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

That's almost normal because the reverse gear doesn't have sychros to align the gears before they mesh. The problem is the gears are spinning when you're trying to mesh them together and that's when they grind.

Two points, I always go into second gear first prior to reverse to stop the gear rotation. Just my preference which goes back to the 70's when I had an MG and first gear didn't have a synchro. Also you may try bleeding the clutch one more time to ensure it's not dragging If the Jeep doesn't move in first gear during the first inch or so of pedal release then your probably ok.

I also found that this happens more on cold days than when warm. Maybe time for an oil change in the transmission?

Reactions: machoheadgames
You have two options, assuming you have no problems. Go into 1st first, which is synchronized and lets you get into it while trans is spinning, which then lets the transmission stop the input shaft from spinning. Then you can go into non synchronized reverse because it’s no longer spinning.

Or, push the clutch and wait 2-3 seconds for it to stop spinning at which point you can shift it in. I always go into 1st and then reverse. Second nature after all these years.

Your clutch swap has nothing to do with this unless you messed up the hydraulic slave operation, but then you’d have problems with the other gears too. Try what is recommended and see.