Anyone have any experience with a Dana 489 axle?

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello again,
Just discovered that I bent my D35 on my first real 4WD trip (what a surprise), clobbered a shock mount on the driver side with a rock. Then the lunch-box locker decided it wasn't going to unlock the driver side axle. It's not bad enough that the axle's bound up in the splines, but bad enough for me to put the spiders back in so I can safely drive it.
Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on an East Coast Gear Supply D489, basically a D44 for a JK, ordered mine with 35 spline axles, 3" tubes, OX locker and 4.88s. I'm eventually going to put 33-12.50s on it, so do the gear change now.
Anyone have any experience with this axle?
I figured if I have to replace the D35, go ALL the way...Only running 32s so I don't need a D60 or the lack of ground clearance.
Does anyone know how much I'll have shorten my rear driveshaft? I'm sure the pinion lengths are going to be different.

Update, just got a call from ECGS and it's shipping next week, and a month sooner than I expected!
I love when it's early Christmas!
Can't wait to get it installed! Then comes the heavy lifting upgrades for the 30HP to match it up.
Yeah, it's rabbit hole, but the spending Will end at some point. At least it will be Solid.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Hello again,
Just discovered that I bent my D35 on my first real 4WD trip (what a surprise), clobbered a shock mount on the driver side with a rock. Then the lunch-box locker decided it wasn't going to unlock the driver side axle. It's not bad enough that the axle's bound up in the splines, but bad enough for me to put the spiders back in so I can safely drive it.
Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on an East Coast Gear Supply D489, basically a D44 for a JK, ordered mine with 35 spline axles, 3" tubes, OX locker and 4.88s. I'm eventually going to put 33-12.50s on it, so do the gear change now.
Anyone have any experience with this axle?
I figured if I have to replace the D35, go ALL the way...Only running 32s so I don't need a D60 or the lack of ground clearance.
Does anyone know how much I'll have shorten my rear driveshaft? I'm sure the pinion lengths are going to be different.
I believe it’s about an inch of difference with the Dana 44 pinion snout. Best way to do this is not guess or go off forum members input..

Slide the new axle under there and measure for the driveshaft distance required yourself.

Be aware the Dana 44 might cause interference with the gas tank in suspension up travel. With an added aftermarket diff cover it may be more of an issue.

Update, just got a call from ECGS and it's shipping next week, and a month sooner than I expected!
I love when it's early Christmas!
Can't wait to get it installed! Then comes the heavy lifting upgrades for the 30HP to match it up.
Yeah, it's rabbit hole, but the spending Will end at some point. At least it will be Solid.
Post some pics of your swap when you get it. I know you're excited to get it.

Will do, and thanks for the information.
I'm hoping my new shaft (a Brand New Tom Woods) will compress enough to work, at least until I do the SM420.
That conversion is shorter than factory, I hear.
Might be close on the tank, but I will check it.
Like I said, I wasn't planning on any swaps, but D35 had other plans.
Going to upgrade the 30 with an OX and 30 spline chromos when it gets the matching gears. Why not.
The plan was make do with what it had and don't get crazy on trail, I should have known better...I know me.
Of course this opens the door for my beloved 4 speed to get rid of that awful AX5.

I've been around a lot of expensive builds, they don't really influence me too much as long as mine does what's I ask.
Enjoyed the "underdog" status for a long time being able to go many places the big dogs went, much to their chagrin.
Like I once told a friend, if your building to impress someone else, you're in it for the wrong reasons.

I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!
...5 days late.
This thing is EPIC! Knew it was going to be a Beast, but, MY GOD!
And the 35 spline shafts, Drool...
I've NEVER had hardware of this caliber. Just, Wow!
Will post some pics when I break the pallet.

Reactions: Flyer58
I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!
...5 days late.
This thing is EPIC! Knew it was going to be a Beast, but, MY GOD!
And the 35 spline shafts, Drool...
I've NEVER had hardware of this caliber. Just, Wow!
Will post some pics when I break the pallet.
As a picture whore, I say share as many as your want! The more the merrier.

Reactions: Flyer58
Got it installed today, still need to bleed the brakes, route the cable and mount the selector.
Not too many issues, but some annoying ones, not totally unexpected.
Spring perches were supposed to welded on to give 12 degrees of pinion angle. They were welded on to stock specs.
So much for losing the shims on the springs.
Then there were the brake lines, the lines were not pre-formed to fit.
The tee mount was 2" to the right of the stock location so I couldn't reuse my old lines.
Not a big deal, but it cost me an extra 1-1/2 hours.
Otherwise it's a thing of beauty!

Got it installed today, still need to bleed the brakes, route the cable and mount the selector.
Not too many issues, but some annoying ones, not totally unexpected.
Spring perches were supposed to welded on to give 12 degrees of pinion angle. They were welded on to stock specs.
So much for losing the shims on the springs.
Then there were the brake lines, the lines were not pre-formed to fit.
The tee mount was 2" to the right of the stock location so I couldn't reuse my old lines.
Not a big deal, but it cost me an extra 1-1/2 hours.
Otherwise it's a thing of beauty!
We gotta see some photos of this beauty!

Reactions: jeepjoe43
We gotta see some photos of this beauty!
Working on it, I don't have a decent camera, or one of those smart phone thingies, so I have to beg for pics from someone that does.
Til then you'll have to take my word for it, she is beautiful.
And the old axles shafts look like toothpicks compared to the new ones!
Think I'm going to paint out the bright yellow OX on the cover though, I'm not big on advertising. I like a sleeper.