95 2.5 straight pipe problems

Duckserman

I recently deleted the muffler on my 2.5 and it didn't have a cat when I bought it(It was someone's backyard hack job) with the hopes of doing a proper exaust system And when I did that the check engine light came on with the 51 obd code for lean fuel mixture, this happened after a few minutes of driving. Should I be worried or is it nothing to worry about?

Sounds right. The engine will normally run lean with straight pipes because it doesn't have the correct back pressure it's designed for. You will also notice less power and burnt exhaust valves this way.

I know it seems strange but that's how they work. Both the cat and muffler help with back pressure. I wad just quoted $550 for a new exhaust from the head pipe on back.

Reactions: Chris
Sounds right. The engine will normally run lean with straight pipes because it doesn't have the correct back pressure it's designed for. You will also notice less power and burnt exhaust valves this way.

I know it seems strange but that's how they work. Both the cat and muffler help with back pressure. I wad just quoted $550 for a new exhaust from the head pipe on back.
So would it be safe to drive?