94 2.5

JronATL

Hey all,

Newish here, and trying to get my elderly parents’ 94 YJ roadworthy again. Mom wants to keep it for the grandkids to drive around in, and I told her I’ll fix it up for her. It’s been sitting awhile, but with a new battery & a couple fuses I got it cranked up and running while there this weekend. The starter screeches like I stepped on its tail but it gets it going.

The Jeep is a bone stock Malibu yellow 2.5, purchased new by my dad, with only 70k rough pasture miles on it. It‘s banged up inside & out from hauling seed, feed, fencing, and whatever else would fit in it, and has sat open to the elements for most of its life. Dirt daubers have moved in, the wires under hood have a lot of chew marks, and the brakes are seized up. Just about perfect in other words.

The plan is to keep it mostly stock and with the exterior looking like the farm vehicle that it has always been. Gonna clean it & seal all the dents & scratches on the outside since they remind me of dad.

But first it needs to be running & safe, so that means brakes, rear bumpers, seatbelts, and whatever else I find on the way. Needs new tires so I might get some 31’s.

Second i want to mostly restore the interior, which involves a lot of cleaning mostly, but some replacement of rotted out plastic bits, some floor repair and paint touchup—I want to keep all the exposed sheet metal yellow. Never had a radio or anything else put in it, & I’m gonna keep it clean inside so there’s nothing to steal. I’ll probably get some rubber mats for comfort but it’s never even had those. Plan to add a locking console with power to store a good portable Bluetooth speaker for tunes.

I haven’t worked on a car since the 80s, I live a few hours away, and I can’t spend all my time while there on the jeep, tho that would be kinda nice. I’m comfortable doing a tune up but not so sure about fixing the brakes or doing any jobs that take a long time (no garage, just an overhang to pull it under). So I might flatbed it to a shop for the brakes.

I appreciate any advice y’all might have on what else to get checked out when I get the brakes looked at!

Thanks!

JRon

53F9EA09-9290-4109-8839-86333F99E3A4.jpeg
56786129-ABDF-43AA-B82B-54BB2751022B.jpeg

F60D72FD-66E4-414E-B110-2297194B21A6.jpeg

Last edited: