93 YJ Howells EFI Kit Conversion and Factory ECM "No Check Engine Light"

Dwwells

So, I am Looking for information on installing this kit on my 93, I contacted Howell and was told this kit would not work on the 93 Wrangler. no specific reason other than it would not work. short reason why I'm thinking about installing this kit. about a year and a half ago, the jeep did the "No Check engine light" and would not start, I checked all the basic things, fuses, relays, connections etc. to no end could not find a culprit. I ordered a used ECM from "Dead Jeeps " while I was waiting on it to arrive, I replaced the 3 capacitors on my old ECM. After replacing the cap's I reinstalled the Old ECM but still nothing. Next step was I sent my Old ECM to SIA electronics to have them repair / test the unit. Still waiting on the unit from Dead Jeeps, i found another ECM for 1/2 price from "Ship ECM " which is located in Florida and since I live in Florida, it was a 3-day delivery. Got the one from "Ship ECM" and it did not work at all same symptoms, No check Engine light. Also got an email from SIA stating that my ECM could not be repaired and would be shipping it back. Still waiting on "Dead Jeeps" ECM. got my ECM back from SIA, tried the one from "Ship ECM" again, still nothing! just for kicks I tried the one that SIA had sent back and for some reason it worked! Sent the one from "Ship ECM" back for a replacement, the unit from Dead Jeep finally Shows up, didn't need it now so, put up in the shop. Feb. of this year, been driving all week with no issues. Got home, went back about an hour later and same problem "No Check Engine Light." Swapped the unit for the one from "Dead Jeep" and I'm all good. now about a week ago, went to a Jeep gathering, drove all day start / stop no issues. get home, turn Jeep off Next day went to go to work same problem "No Check Engine Light." Swapped to the replacement from "Ship ECM" and still "No Check Engine Light". so I found the Howell Kit and I planned on putting it on to eliminate the Jeep ECM's. Thats my story. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I'm by no means an electrical engineer, however I can operate a Meter. looking for something that is causing these ECM's to stop working?

My Ride:
1993 - 4.0 - 5 Speed
Optima Battery
120 amp Alternator
Eaton Electric Locker (Rear)
Power Trac Locker (Front)
13K Winch
35x13.5x15's Toyo's
10x15 Mickey Thompson wheels
4.88 Front /Rear Gears
SYE, 4" Lift
Magna Flow exhaust

Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you why you keep burning through ECMs. Maybe something is shorting and frying them?

As for why the Howell kit won’t work, it’s designed to be out on a carbureted engine with a much much different wire harness than what you have. You could probably figure it out eventually but you’d probably have to rework a decent amount of the wiring in the Jeep to do so.

I’d start with trying to figure out why the ECMs are going bad. You can get the wiring diagrams from here and maybe try doing some continuity tests to make sure the circuits are all connected to where they are supposed to be and none of them are shorted to ground.