'92 Jeep YJ (Jurassic Build)

Dne007

Supporting Member
Hi, I'm dne' from Cypress, tx. I had the hots to build a Jurassic jeep, so I bought a '92 locally with 115k miles, in need of a lot of body/ mechanical work before the paint. I'm not new to restorations, but new to a '90's vehicle/fuel injection. I was able to drive the YJ home and it is solid, the 4.0 with 115k miles has a miss, and checking that out before I start the tub removal, just want to make sure I'm not going to have the engine rebuild. Compression is good @150 except for #1 cylinder at 135psi.
I have a '68 that's getting nearer completion and just spending time on each as time permits.
dne' ;)

I'm also on the ECJ5 forum where I've been for a while:
jeep-yj6.jpg

92-jeep-tear-down1.jpg

92-jeep-yj-fenders1.jpg

My other jeep a '68 getting closer to completion, but that's not why I'm here;)
68-jeep-test-fit.jpg

68-dauntless-engine1.jpg

I went out this morning to pull the steering column, and a big black widow spider was hanging down from the jeep, jeep was on my 4 post lift at its high level! I'm the indiana jones of spiders "why'd it have to be a black widow!). So I caught the spider and it is no more!

Then I backed the jeep out and pulled this number and pressure washed it in every nook n cranny that I could blast and here I've been putting my hands under the dash~ eeek
This jeep is my brothers '62, about a 2 year ago project
jeep-blasted.jpg

As said, my brothers finished '62 with an F-134 4 cylinder.
almost8.jpg

So, pulled it back in and now I knew I heard an exhaust leak! What's a good exhaust manifold to replace this one?
92-jeep-exhaust-manifold.jpg

It's kind of stupid hot today, so I'm going to work on my '68 in my air conditioned shop;)
dne'

When you painted your engine I notice you painted places you have gasket for your intake and exhaust manifold. Did that give your any problems?
Hi, I'm dne' from Cypress, tx. I had the hots to build a Jurassic jeep, so I bought a '92 locally with 115k miles, in need of a lot of body/ mechanical work before the paint. I'm not new to restorations, but new to a '90's vehicle/fuel injection. I was able to drive the YJ home and it is solid, the 4.0 with 115k miles has a miss, and checking that out before I start the tub removal, just want to make sure I'm not going to have the engine rebuild. Compression is good @150 except for #1 cylinder at 135psi.
I have a '68 that's getting nearer completion and just spending time on each as time permits.
dne' ;)

I'm also on the ECJ5 forum where I've been for a while:
View attachment 116195

View attachment 116196

View attachment 116197

My other jeep a '68 getting closer to completion, but that's not why I'm here;)
View attachment 116198

View attachment 116199
[/QUOTE]

Hi, I didn't think anyone was looking at my build;) I'm thinking that you're talking about the V6 in my '68 jeep? I haven't even started that engine yet! lol I visited a local muffler shop just today and thinking perhaps pulling it there tomorrow. In answer to your question, I've never had a problem in the past with paint in the exhaust mating surfaces, but on the intake I do remove paint residue before installing the intake.
thank you for visiting;)
dne'

92-jeep-engine-disassembly.jpg

92-jeep-gas-tank.jpg

92-jeep-rotisserie.jpg

The hood was messed up and rather than buy a hood, I decided to repair this.
92-jeep-hood.jpg

92-jeep-hood1.jpg

The frame, tub, grill, front fenders, front driveshaft were blasted. The blasting launches really helps me progress like it did on my '68;0
92-jeep-sandblasted.jpg

92-jeep-frame3.jpg

I had the engine overhauled by a reputable engine building place, got it back in record time. I'm not trying to break any records, but I'm getting pretty good at this restoration of jeeps thing;) Still waiting on a lot of parts~ I get them, install them. The valve cover isn't installed yet as I plan to paint it either Krinkle red or high gloss red~ I'd like the engine compartment to pop!
92-jeep-engine-reassembly.jpg

92-jeep-reassembly2.jpg

Since I got a response, I'll try to put more pics as I progress;)
dne'

Reactions: Flyer58
OMG, you're in Magnolia! I'm crazy spoiled with my garage! Thank you for the compliment;)
LOL, Yeah that's barely half a days trail ride by horse! :)

What's the little car hiding in the background? Funny how they find their way into small spaces. My other project is a '72 Triumph Spitfire.

1.jpg

Sorry, went to be earlier than usual last night~ Spitfires are a cute little car~ mine is a '73 Triumph TR6, but I transplanted a '99 Miata engine/trans with a Nissan differential. Basically a Miata with a TR6 body! ;) What are your plans for your Wrangler? ;)
dne' ;)

screen-saver-pic.jpg

new-valve-cover2.jpg

I bought my 92 Jeep YJ in very good condition for a cheap price because the previous owner (first car) ran it out of oil when the engine oil pressure sending unit failed and dumped out all the oil. It's all stock with a 2.5L and AX-5 except he put on 31" tires.

My plan was to rebuild it and sell it but now that it's almost done I've caught the bug and want to keep it. I've put over 400 miles on it since the rebuild and so far everything's running great. I had all the engine machine work done up in Conroe by Ted's and I did all the labor pulling it apart and then back together.

The frame need repair under the skid pan around the nutcerts and then a few rust holes on the body and drivers side floor pan were cut out and patched/replaced.

The next big project will be to spray on Lizard Skin on the inside floor for heat and protection.

Body work and paint is next for the Spit. I got sidetracked by the Jeep. :)

3.jpg

hi4.JPG

ra5.JPG

92 YJ.jpg

1 pre 2a.jpg

72 Spitfire.jpg

I Love the picture of your little spitfire engine! and the Spitfire on the saw horses looks like a 1/16 scale model! ;) Jeep looks great!!

Reactions: Flyer58
I've been moving at a snail pace, but I'm almost through with my '68 CJ5, just need an inspection sticker/safety inspection then I can be street legal! ;)

The Jurassic build; the engine is pretty much together, primed, engine wiring harness/injectors installed(not shown). Today I started on the tub for body work, however holidays are here and that's going to be put on the back burner until next week. But it should go pretty quickly, then I can put the tub back on the frame;) Still debating on Air conditioning, just hard to let go of another 1000bucks:(
Also next week I need to go to a local jeep place to buy a tailgate/hinges and other odds n ends.
92-4-0a.jpg

Yes, it's an old fan belt, but as said, undecided on AC. I wish someone made new fuel lines, guess I'll just have to take a dremmel to the lines and see if I can pretty them up a bit. The valve cover is Krinkle paint.
92-4-0.jpg

The V6 is very powerful and puts my brothers F134(4 cylinder jeep) to shame! I love it! Still have a bikini top to make, back seat to install etc
68-jeep-finished4.jpg

My brother had installed some side steps on his new dodge truck, he was sent a new set of steps and I got his old/new ones and shortned them to fit my jeep and they're nice!
68-jeep-side-step3.jpg

I have yet to refurbish the air cleaner~ always something to do! ;) The battery is located under the dash behind the glove box with a kill switch. I wanted a clean engine compartment;)
68-jeep-engine-area.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tdg and Flyer58
Ok, I've made some decent progress over the past couple months;)

jurassic-paint.jpg

Jurassic-paint9c.jpg

jurassic-jeep-paint6.jpg

jurassic-jeep-paint5.jpg

Just happen that my brother came by on the day I was putting the tub on, nice to have him here;)
92-jeep-tub-reinstall.jpg

jurassic-jeep-reassembly1.jpg

I want my jeep to be quiet, and insulated;)
92-jeep-insulation.jpg

92-jeep-radiator-fan2.jpg

92-jurassic-jeep.jpg

It's just a matter of putting it back together, still much to do, but kind of relaxed now as most the hard work is over;)
dne'

Last edited:
Ok, I've made some decent progress over the past couple months;)

View attachment 116796

View attachment 116797

View attachment 116798

View attachment 116799

Just happen that my brother came by on the day I was putting the tub on, nice to have him here;)
View attachment 116800

View attachment 116801

I want my jeep to be quiet, and insulated;)
View attachment 116802

View attachment 116803

View attachment 116804

It's just a matter of putting it back together, still much to do, but kind of relaxed now as most the hard work is over;)
dne'
Looking great!

Can't wait to get mine looking like that one day. Looks awesome. What color is that? Are you using decals for the red stripes and lettering?
Thank you so much for the compliment! ;) The color is a PPG product single stage called Sand beige polly. I forget the red at the moment but the details are on the forum link below. The red is paint and the numbers are stencils. I'll be posting that as I go along. Probably in another week or so the red should be on; that will be nice. The stencils and decals are bought as a kit depending on what number you want your jeep to be. I'll be JP18;)
dne' ;)

The dash was pretty depressing, old looking, lens's all scratched up, radio didn't work.
92-jeep-dash-area2.jpg

When getting to the refurbishing the dash, washed it thoroughly, the sprayed a couple coats of SEM Graphite paint which matched the original color perfectly. Installed new instrument len's, a Newer radio which works, new speakers
92-jeep-dash-installed.jpg

jeep-radio1.jpg

Found some neat speaker "screen on amazon"
speakers4.jpg

THese speakers fit almost perfectly, just needed to trim a couple holes
speakers5.jpg

I have the engine running now, runs great, but haven't driven it down the street yet, just backed up and down our driveway.
Got to go, I'll be back;)