87 Wrangler starter trouble

Tonwantonga

i am working on an 87 Wrangler with the 4.2, with the Peugot gearbox. the guy we bought it from said he had put 6 starters on it, blamed the bellhousing on the starter problems. We have put on a new flywheel and ring gear, bought a new starter, replaced the starter nosepiece with a better one from a CJ-7, replaced the starter drive with a better quality new drive, loosened the engine from the trans and shifted the spacer, all to get the starter better aligned with the flywheel. it helped, for about 3 weeks. now the starter is grinding teeth again. I know the 87s are notorious for this, and I know several people have 'fixed' the problem. The BA10 trans is, believe it or not, actually still functioning like it should. The previous owner thought the bellhousing was the problem and gave us one with the jeep, but it is from an internal slave AX15, so it doesn't fit the Peugot. I have an AX15 and NP231 that I was going to swap in, but still have to get the master/slave cylinders (and possibly driveshafts). Was checking to see if anyone had any other advice on making what we have in there work together before i pull the engine again and start swapping parts. been welding floor panels in and would really like to get this on the road instead of scattered around the shop.

Reactions: Fuzz409