4.0 help

Residentmp

As a new guy to this forum, but long time jeeper I hate to start off with another 4.0 oil leak question, but I’m stumped, and I apologize for the lengthy backstory and completely understand the TL/DR aspect of these things.

But I’ve replaced the usual suspects, some twice (oil filters, distributor gaskets, oil pressure sensor, rear main, oil pan, valve cover, etc.). It doesn’t seem to leak or mark its spot on short trips (12 miles to work) below 55mph. Somewhere between 55-60 after a few minutes, it’s almost as if pressure builds up somewhere and forces oil out of a magical spot. Not a lot of oil, but enough to leave a light film on the bottom of the Jeep, burn some off on the exhaust and leave a small couple of drops after it’s parked. The next time it’s driven to work on my below 55mph route and no leak. This is extremely consistent and repeatable. I’ve gotten the leak to happen once in the driveway when idling for an extended time (30+ minutes). With a drop of oil from the lip of the oil pan below the rear main, onto the flex plate and flung onto starter/exhaust. (inspection cover removed for, well inspection in the driveway/was installed during all the road tests). Rechecked all oil pan/valve cover bolts, wiped all the oil off everything, ran the Jeep for what seemed like forever with no leak, thought all was well. Came out the next morning to what I can only explain as being evidence of a small oil explosion, (again not much oil, maybe not even a 1/4 cup) but the oil covered the backside of the oil pan, and pooled inside the bellhousing with a small drip forming on both the drain plug bolt and the bottom of the bell housing. Almost as if there was pressure built up in the oil pan that finally released sometime during the night.

The ccv system appears to operate (vacuum present and functioning check valve thingy) and the inside of the valve cover appears extremely clean.

The Jeep has 135k but nothing is as it should be, with unknown history… the block is a 96 with 93 heads/intake in a 93 yj. It seems to run fine, starts right up, haven't noticed any other signs or issues, radiator fluid is still green and full, I wouldn’t really care except it keeps getting all over the exhaust and I hate that smell.

Any thoughts, ideas, anything? This has me stumped and a little frustrated!! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

If it was cleaned pretty much spotlessly Id think you'd be able to narrow down where exactly it coming from. Hate to say it but new parts/gaskets or seals may have been snagged, or ??? and still allowing a weep of oil.

Reactions: Residentmp
Dumb question but, what oil are you running? I had a 94 gmc and ran Mobil 1 and it leaked some oil most of the time that I had it. I sold it to my brother and he wasn’t about to put up with it leaking on his driveway. Tried about everything but couldn’t get it to stop. One of the biggest leaks was around the oil filter gasket. An old mechanic advised him to go back to conventional oil and it stopped. The reasoning was that synthetic oils will seep through where other oils can’t. May be worth a try if you are running synthetic oil.

Dumb question but, what oil are you running? I had a 94 gmc and ran Mobil 1 and it leaked some oil most of the time that I had it. I sold it to my brother and he wasn’t about to put up with it leaking on his driveway. Tried about everything but couldn’t get it to stop. One of the biggest leaks was around the oil filter gasket. An old mechanic advised him to go back to conventional oil and it stopped. The reasoning was that synthetic oils will seep through where other oils can’t. May be worth a try if you are running synthetic oil.
Thanks! I do run mobile 1, so It certainly won’t hurt to try something different.

If it was cleaned pretty much spotlessly Id think you'd be able to narrow down where exactly it coming from. Hate to say it but new parts/gaskets or seals may have been snagged, or ??? and still allowing a weep of oil.
I’m sure I’ll tear it apart again and see if there is something obvious that I messed up, and try again. Just frustrating as I’ve had luck in the past with these, just not this one

Penzoil syn 10W 30 leaks as well. I have switched to Mobil 1 syn 10W 40. It leaks a little less. I will switch to conventional if I notice any oil loss as that is the main thing I am still trying to stop.

Huh, with older/high mileage engine that have had a lifetime of dino oil they more often than not start to leak when switching to a good full synthetic because of the way it cleans out the carbon.

Huh, with older/high mileage engine that have had a lifetime of dino oil they more often than not start to leak when switching to a good full synthetic because of the way it cleans out the carbon.
I agree. On the gmc that I was speaking of, I changed the intake manifold gasket at about 100000 miles. At this point I had been running the Mobil 1 for about 50000 of those miles. The lifter valley looked like a new engine, you could see the original factory paint stick markings.

Reactions: Flyer58