2nd try with potential YJ purchase

watter0tter

ok y'all, First YJ I looked at wasn't so hot, I think this one is better (yeah its been repainted) but what are y'all opinions on this one.

Not sure why it says it’s black. Looks like it came factory in red and now it looks green to me. Looks like a fresh paint job to me. They repainted the engine bay and not the inside of the hood? I wonder why it has a ATV winch on it? First thing I would do to it is replace the front bumper and get a real air cleaner on it. Can’t really go wrong at 5 grand. See how it drives. Check the frame real good. If you do buy it try to get all the info you can on what the PO did to it and why. Also parts take off can be good to have.

Not sure why it says it’s black. Looks like it came factory in red and now it looks green to me. Looks like a fresh paint job to me. They repainted the engine bay and not the inside of the hood? I wonder why it has a ATV winch on it? First thing I would do to it is replace the front bumper and get a real air cleaner on it. Can’t really go wrong at 5 grand. See how it drives. Check the frame real good. If you do buy it try to get all the info you can on what the PO did to it and why. Also parts take off can be good to have.
Excellent advice.
Noticed the ATV winch and the funky bumper, too.
Affirmative on the info and take off parts.

So I'm half of a mind to get the best I4 YJ I can find for cheap (not sure I like this YJ bc its carbureted and its been modified), run with it until the engine/transmission cuts out then replace the engine/transmission with something better (I6 or diesel). Is this an idea that has merit?

Depends on if you want to spend your time working on the jeep or on the trail. Way too much headache and work for me. I don’t have the time or mechanical skills for that type of project. My 89 is carbureted and it’s the weak link.

Reactions: Chris
So I'm half of a mind to get the best I4 YJ I can find for cheap (not sure I like this YJ bc its carbureted and its been modified), run with it until the engine/transmission cuts out then replace the engine/transmission with something better (I6 or diesel). Is this an idea that has merit?
Carbureted is not necessarily a weak link, you can fix that on trail, FI fails, you come home on a strap.
Either swap has merit, I may go the diesel route when my 4 banger dies (if it ever does).
There is another thread here on a diesel build.
But like Bucky says, where do you want to spend your money on?

Last edited:
Let me throw in my $.02. Youd be ahead of the game finding a 91+ NON TB injected YJ. Doing a engine swap later consider the AX5 as a weak link and likely no adapter kits to install a new mill. Personally Id look for a stock as i could get and go from there. You know what some do with these things and new paint and undercoating can hide lots of rust,cracks and welds.

Finding my '91 stocker was just sheer luck, wasn't even looking to buy a Jeep, but she winked at me from a parking lot.
She's had more than her share of bugs, but it was a clean slate and I didn't have to "undo" someone else's Hokum.
Refreshing to have one that's not been molested, actually been digging being able buy bolt on stuff and not have to fab everything.
My '43 was a "Ranch Rescue", that was whole different story.
It had been cowboyed together for 30+ years and there was NOTHING correct on it, she was a Basket case.
Try buying parts for a GPW...That's why I learned how to fab. May she R.I.P.

Yup, '91+, MPI, try to find as stock as you can get.
Keep swimming, you'll find your baby!

Reactions: Chris
Let me throw in my $.02. Youd be ahead of the game finding a 91+ NON TB injected YJ. Doing a engine swap later consider the AX5 as a weak link and likely no adapter kits to install a new mill. Personally Id look for a stock as i could get and go from there. You know what some do with these things and new paint and undercoating can hide lots of rust,cracks and welds.
Little work on mine just because I got starrie eyed once again