1990 YJ Build

Chief Hof

Supporting Member
1990 Jeep Wrangler, date of purchase from original owner 1 July 2014. 4.2L, 5 Speed AX 15, 28,000 original miles. Never off-roaded, never driven in rain/snow. Came with original paperwork including bill of sale and window sticker.

4. 1990 Jeep YJ Passenger FrontSide 1 (640x449).jpg
7. 1990 Jeep YJ Passenger Side.jpg

Today...41,000 miles. Family style roll bar installed, Smittybilt XRC 9,000 lb winch, Smittybilt XRC front/rear bumpers, 1.5" Superlift with 1 " Daystar Body lift. Power Stop Z36 cross drilled rotor and caliper kit, Hurst shifter, BFG 30 X9.50 All-Terrain KO2s, ARB diff covers...

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

I originally went with 1" boomerang shackles for the lift, but they were junk...suspension lift is way better...

• Love
Reactions: Chris
Do you have the stock length shocks on the jeep, or ones with increased travel length?
Afternoon, I went with the Skyjacker Black Max shocks for 0-2” lift...most sites will allow you to select the lift hight when ordering as per the example below...

No worries Brother...what year YJ and kind of set-up are you running?

Last edited:
Btw, the black max shocks are pretty sweet! Foam cell technology is where it's at. Only issue with installation is that I had to mount the rears inverted because the shock housing was in contact with the axle. Not sure if the inverted position will have a negative operating affect over time, but Rubicon Express makes a shock relocation bracket that's supposed to take care of interference issues, part number is RE2007...I think I'm going to go that route...

Last edited:
Damn that thing is clean! Is it as clean as it looks? I'd almost be tempted to just keep that thing stock and maybe just some 31s and a 2" lift. It looks so great even as it is!

Damn that thing is clean! Is it as clean as it looks? I'd almost be tempted to just keep that thing stock and maybe just some 31s and a 2" lift. It looks so great even as it is!
Evening Chris...indeed it is, the engine compartment is clean as it gets and the vacuum system has not been all butchered up...in fact when I first bought it, it was running good but would stall on occasion... lo and behold, the carb still had the factory mixture screw caps installed. I knocked those out, adjusted the mixture and the thing purrs like a kitten. Last year I replaced the 29 year old original fuel filter with much hesitation as it had the Chrysler Pentastar stamped on it. I settled on mild mods to it and have kept the original bumpers and most original equipment...

Evening Chris...indeed it is, the engine compartment is clean as it gets and the vacuum system has not been all butchered up...in fact when I first bought it, it was running good but would stall on occasion... lo and behold, the carb still had the factory mixture screw caps installed. I knocked those out, adjusted the mixture and the thing purrs like a kitten. Last year I replaced the 29 year old original fuel filter with much hesitation as it had the Chrysler Pentastar stamped on it. I settled on mild mods to it and have kept the original bumpers and most original equipment...

Sounds like a solid plan! So many of these things have been beat to shit and abused, that when you see a clean one like this, you don't want to do too much to it. At least you've kept the original equipment as well. From what I can tell, you have a very fine specimen here, which is rare when it comes to YJs.

Thanks for the sentiments and you're spot on about finding clean YJ s out there. I've been in the hunt for a buddy of mine and the majority have been pretty hogged out...great job running the Forum btw, I know it's a lot of work, but you're always on top of it!