1990 Steering box bolts

Eric_CA

Hi All,

I have a 1990 YJ and some time in its life someone tried to take the steering box off the jeep. When they did that, they broke one of the bolts. My question is does anyone make a kit for the bolts and if not, can I just preplace them with grade 8 bolts from the hardware store? I am assuming that the bolt that broke was a grade 8 bolt, correct?

Thanks for the help!

Eric square lights

I’m not around my YJ at the moment, but a quick search on ebay fielded some results.

Pull one of of the good ones and take it with you to the hardware store, match the pitch and size, pick some grade 8 stuff and be done.

I’m not around my YJ at the moment, but a quick search on ebay fielded some results.

Pull one of of the good ones and take it with you to the hardware store, match the pitch and size, pick some grade 8 stuff and be done.
Hi Fouledplugs,

I saw those on Ebay but I don't want to buy someone 30-year-old bolts. I will do the hardware grade bolts and be done with it. the two bottom bolts are being a little stubborn. I have PB blasted them again and let's see what happens.

Thank you for the advice,
Eric

Hi Fouledplugs,

I saw those on Ebay but I don't want to buy someone 30-year-old bolts. I will do the hardware grade bolts and be done with it. the two bottom bolts are being a little stubborn. I have PB blasted them again and let's see what happens.

Thank you for the advice,
Eric
Do you have a torch?

Heat can really help them loosen up and make it easier on you to get them to come out without much of a fight.