1989 yj 2.5 engine won't shut off

2tornadoes

Hey everyone, I know this is the reverse of what most people have issues with but the other day I was moving my '89 YJ and when I turned it off and removed the key it just kept running. I replaced the ignition switch and tested the two relays near the battery

My next step is to pull a used column from an XJ at the junk yard. Anyone have any other thoughts? Greatly appreciate anything you guys might have!

Hey everyone, I know this is the reverse of what most people have issues with but the other day I was moving my '89 YJ and when I turned it off and removed the key it just kept running. I replaced the ignition switch and tested the two relays near the battery

My next step is to pull a used column from an XJ at the junk yard. Anyone have any other thoughts? Greatly appreciate anything you guys might have!

I don't have a wiring diagram. I just got this jeep in a trade a few weeks back, looking under the dash seems to be a rats nest of wires from PO's for god only knows what. I originally thought of swapping the column b/c I want a tilt, but now I'm not sure I'm planning on keeping the Jeep as there is another one near me for sale that I'd much rather have, so right now it's just about getting the shut off to work properly.

I think I will hold off on the column though, mostly b/c it's only going to be 45 here tomorrow and I don't feel like freezing in the pick n pull lot!

Reactions: Flyer58
4.2 engine? From the electrical manual, Ignition section:

ENGINE CONTINUES TO RUN WITH KEY OFF 1.) Defective Starter Motor Solenoid (Replace Solenoid)
2.) Shorted Diode in Alternator Warning Lamp Circuit (Replace Diode)

I don't have an Alternator Warning Lamp, just a voltmeter, so I'd check the Starter Solenoid

4.2 engine? From the electrical manual, Ignition section:

ENGINE CONTINUES TO RUN WITH KEY OFF 1.) Defective Starter Motor Solenoid (Replace Solenoid)
2.) Shorted Diode in Alternator Warning Lamp Circuit (Replace Diode)

I don't have an Alternator Warning Lamp, just a voltmeter, so I'd check the Starter Solenoid
It's the 2.5 but I imagine it's similar so that was my next step. It's a nasty mess of wires though so I was really hoping to avoid that! Maybe a chance to clean it up a bit...

Thanks for the info!