1979 Called, they want their communication device back.

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
So, all the hillbillies I hang out with still run CBs, apparently we are in the shrinking minority.
I recently went on an organized run and everybody was running GMRS radios, so my old CB was rendered obsolete. I have never used anything but a CB so I was a little surprised. GMRS requires an FCC license which I don't have and never had a reason to obtain. I don't know how many people bother to get a license, but it's a $30,000 fine to operate without one. Anyway, I was without communication, which wasn't the end of the world, but kinda sucked.
Today I registered with the FCC, obtained an FRN number, and applied for a Call sign. I also picked up a decent pair of GMRS handheld radios.
Next time I go on a run, I'll be "in the loop".

41141783_10156491243732184_3147832521090138112_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I understand. I was just curious why they would use GMRS over CB. I never heard of GMRS before.
Apparently it has better range and clearer sound.
Most importantly has "privacy settings" that filter out chatter from people who are not in the group , and are using the same channel.
Not sure on much more than that, I first heard about them on Sunday...I bought a pair of radios and applied for my license yesterday. It's all pretty new to me.