SYE Install Question

canon07

I've got a 2.5" lift on an '89 and had the rear drive shaft break out of the brackets on the rear pinion yoke.

There's a bolt sheered off in the yoke so I'm replacing it. The stock drive shaft also got damaged as it flopped around when it came loose so, since I have to replace it anyway, I'm going to go ahead and get an SYE kit and a driveshaft from Adams.

My question is, I have metal rails that are maybe 1.5" high that were installed between the skid plate and the frame - they were there when I got the Jeep - this is a transfer case dropdown, correct?

When I install the SYE and the CV driveshaft, do I get rid of those rails and just bolt the skidplate directly to the frame? Do I need to get shorter bolts if so?

I see a lot of other YJs with rubber grommets up between the frame and the skidplate, is that just a different type of transfer case dropdown? Or are they there so you can get the mud and dirt that gets up in there out more easily?

Anything you see between the skid plate and the frame is a transfer case drop kit. From factory, the skid mounts straight to the frame rails.

I would remove the t-case drop when doing the SYE. You will need some shims to angle the pinion up for proper angles with the new driveshaft.

Yes, the metal rails are a transfer case drop kit, the pucks are the same thing. Probably came with the lift kit when it was installed.

You won't need the t-case drop when you are running the SYE, especially with the new Adams driveshaft. You will want to make sure the drive shaft is angled up with shims pointing toward the yoke on the SYE.

I am currently running a 2.5 RE lift with 5/8 shackle lift and 1" motor mount lift, SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft with no Transfer case drop. No vibrations or issues whatsoever. You should be the same.

Edit: Macho beat me to it lol.